I'm always keeping and updating a file of Bible verses that I can lookup by subject and sermon, so I thought I would just put the file here on my blog. This post will grow as I add more.
God will not forget your work for him and your work for him will never be in vain:
For God is not unrighteous to forget your work and labour of love, which ye have shewed toward his name, in that ye have ministered to the saints, and do minister.
1st Corinthians 15:58
Therefore, my beloved brethren, be ye stedfast, unmoveable, always abounding in the work of the Lord, forasmuch as ye know that your labour is not in vain in the Lord.
Jesus was tried seven times before his crucifixion and there are some neat connections that can be found in the details:
1. First came the trial before Annas, where Jesus was struck in the face: (John 18:12-14, 19-23)
2. Then came the trial before Caiaphas: All four Gospels record this trial (Matthew 26:57-68; Mark 14:53-65; Luke 22:54, 63-65; John 18:24)
3. Then came the day trial before the Sanhedrin: All three Synoptic Gospels record this third Jewish trial (Matthew 27:1; Mark 15:1; Luke 22:66-71) that took place "as soon as it was day" (Luke 22:66)
4. Next came the first trial before Pilate: All four Gospels record this trial (Matthew 27:1-2, 11-14; Mark 15:1-5; Luke 23:1-7; John 18:28-32, 33-38)
5. Next came the trial before Herod: Only the gospel of Luke records this trial (Luke 23:6-12)
6. Next came the second trial before Pilate: All four Gospels record this trial (Matthew 27:15-23; Mark 15:6-14; Luke 23:13-22; John 18:39-19:6). Pilate still did not condemn Jesus, but turned the decision over to the crowd, Jesus' own people, by giving them a choice to have released to them either Jesus or the murderer, Barabbas (very much a type and shadow of Satan, the thief who comes to kill, steal and destroy).
7. Which brings us to the 7th and most painful trial Jesus suffered. The trial of the crowd (a symbol of the whole world). The crowd chose to have the thieving murderer, Barabbas, released among them, and people are still making this choice today. And then, when asked what should happen with Jesus, they chanted "Crucify him! Crucify him!" (Matthew 27:15-22, Mark 15:7-14, Luke 23:18-21, John 18:39-40, 19:5-6)
Here are the interesting connections: The Bible says the Word of God is like fine silver tried in the fire seven times (Psalm 12:6). Jesus was the Word of God made flesh (John 1:1 & 14). Jesus was betrayed and sold for 30 pieces of SILVER (Matthew 26:15). To put it simply, Jesus became the payment for our sin.
The witnesses against Jesus couldn't match their false testimonies against him:
For many bare false witness against him, but their witness agreed not together.
This was in violation of the same Mosaic Law they were accusing him of breaking:
At the mouth of two witnesses, or three witnesses, shall he that is worthy of death be put to death; but at the mouth of one witness he shall not be put to death.
18. And the judges shall make diligent inquisition: and, behold, if the witness be a false witness, and hath testified falsely against his brother;
19. Then shall ye do unto him, as he had thought to have done unto his brother: so shalt thou put the evil away from among you.
Science in the scriptures:
Hydrologic Cycle - Ecclesiastes 1:7, Isaiah 55:10
Evaporation - Psalm 135:7, Jeremiah 10:13
Condensation Nuclei - Proverbs 8:26
Condensation - Job 26:8, 37:11 37:16
Precipitation - Job 36:26-28
Run-off - Job 28:10
Oceanic Reservoir - Psalm 33:7
Snow - Job 38:22, Psalm 147:16
Hydrologic Balance - Job 28:24-26
Springs in the Sea - Job 38:16
Spherical shape of earth - Isaiah 40:22, Job 26:10, Psalm 103:12
Principle of Isostasy - Isaiah 40:12, Psalm 104:5-9
Rotation of Earth - Job 38:12-14
Gravitation - Job 26:7, 38:6
Rock Erosion - Job 14:18-19
Glacial Period - Job 38:29-30
Uniformitarianism - 2nd Peter 3:4
Dinosaurs - Job chaps 40 & 41
Size of Universe - Job 11:7-9, 22:12, Isaiah 55:9, Jeremiah 31:37
Number of Stars - Genesis 22:17, Jeremiah 32:22
Uniqueness of each star - 1st Corinthians 15:41
Precision of Orbits - Jeremiah 31:35-36
Circulation of Atmosphere - Ecclesiastes 1:6
Oceanic origin of rain - Ecclesiastes 1:7
Relation of electricity to rain - Job 28:26, Jeremiah 10:13
Fluid Dynamics - Job 28:25
Blood Circulation - Leviticus 17:11
Psychotherapy - Proverbs 16:24, 17:22
Biogenesis and Stability - Genesis 1:11, 21, 25
The Bible may say not to judge others, but it says we ARE supposed rebuke and admonish others and to accept it from others if we're living in sin:
1st Timothy 5:20
Them that sin rebuke before all, that others also may fear.
Open rebuke is better than secret love.
The ransom of a man's life are his riches: but the poor heareth not rebuke.
As many as I love, I rebuke and chasten: be zealous therefore, and repent.
And I myself also am persuaded of you, my brethren, that ye also are full of goodness, filled with all knowledge, able also to admonish one another.
Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom; teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord.
1st Thessalonians 5:12
And we beseech you, brethren, to know them which labour among you, and are over you in the Lord, and admonish you;
2nd Thessalonians 3:15
Yet count him not as an enemy, but admonish him as a brother.
Better is a poor and a wise child than an old and foolish king, who will no more be admonished.
Wait for the word of two or three witnesses before you condemn someone if you don't know the facts for certain:
2nd Corinthians 13:1
This is the third time I am coming to you. In the mouth of two or three witnesses shall every word be established.
1st Timothy 5:19
Against an elder receive not an accusation, but before two or three witnesses.
Muslims often say that there is no verse in the Bible wherein Jesus calls himself the Son of God. But there is:
John 10:36 (Jesus speaking)
Say ye of him, whom the Father hath sanctified, and sent into the world, Thou blasphemest; because I said, I am the Son of God?
And if you read the whole passage you can see that Jesus is certainly calling himself the Son of God:
30. I and my Father are one.
31. Then the Jews took up stones again to stone him.
32. Jesus answered them, Many good works have I shewed you from my Father; for which of those works do ye stone me?
33. The Jews answered him, saying, For a good work we stone thee not; but for blasphemy; and because that thou, being a man, makest thyself God.
34. Jesus answered them, Is it not written in your law, I said, Ye are gods?
35. If he called them gods, unto whom the word of God came, and the scripture cannot be broken;
36. Say ye of him, whom the Father hath sanctified, and sent into the world, Thou blasphemest; because I said, I am the Son of God?
And here's more proof that Jesus was God. This next verse says that God purchased the church with his OWN blood. That could only be Jesus Christ:
Take heed therefore unto yourselves, and to all the flock, over the which the Holy Ghost hath made you overseers, to feed the church of God, which he hath purchased with his own blood.
Just because someone is going through a hard time, it doesn't mean they are being punished by God:
2. And Jesus answering said unto them, Suppose ye that these Galilaeans were sinners above all the Galilaeans, because they suffered such things?
3. I tell you, Nay: but, except ye repent, ye shall all likewise perish.
4. Or those eighteen, upon whom the tower in Siloam fell, and slew them, think ye that they were sinners above all men that dwelt in Jerusalem?
5. I tell you, Nay: but, except ye repent, ye shall all likewise perish.
A fool reacts violently and immediately to an insult, but a wise man can take it calmly.
A fool's wrath is presently known: but a prudent man covereth shame.
19. Wherefore, my beloved brethren, let every man be swift to hear, slow to speak, slow to wrath:
20. For the wrath of man worketh not the righteousness of God.
The few parts of the Bible that are written in Aramaic:
Daniel 2:4 - 7:28
Ezra 4:8 - 6:18, 7:12-26
Don't waste time!
15. See then that ye walk circumspectly, not as fools, but as wise,
16. REDEEMING THE TIME, because the days are evil.
Paul and Silas sang the original jailhouse rock:
25. And at midnight Paul and Silas prayed, and sang praises unto God: and the prisoners heard them.
26. And suddenly there was a great earthquake, so that the foundations of the prison were shaken: and immediately all the doors were opened, and every one's bands were loosed.
7 of Elisha's miracles are recorded in the Bible:
1. Parting the Jordan River with his cloak, just as Elijah did (2nd Kings 2:13-14)
2. Causing a poor widow to have her oil multiplied many times so that she could pay her debts and live normally (2nd Kings 4:1-7)
3. Enabling a barren woman to have a child (2nd Kings 4:14-17)
4. Bring that same child back to life adter it had died (2nd Kings 4:32-35)
5. Multiplying loaves and grain to feed 100 men (2nd Kings 4:42-44)
6. Healing a leper by having him wash 7 times in the Jordan River (2nd Kings 5:10 & 14)
7. Causing a ax head to float (2nd Kings 6:5-7)
Nothing is kept secret from God, not even thoughts:
Woe unto them that seek deep to hide their counsel from the Lord, and their works are in the dark, and they say, Who seeth us? and who knoweth us?
For God shall bring every work into judgment, with every secret thing, whether it be good, or whether it be evil.
For there is nothing hid, which shall not be manifested; neither was any thing kept secret, but that it should come abroad.
For nothing is secret, that shall not be made manifest; neither any thing hid, that shall not be known and come abroad.
For there is no man that doeth any thing in secret, and he himself seeketh to be known openly. If thou do these things, shew thyself to the world.
He revealeth the deep and secret things: he knoweth what is in the darkness, and the light dwelleth with him.
For I know their works and their thoughts: it shall come, that I will gather all nations and tongues; and they shall come, and see my glory.
Can any hide himself in secret places that I shall not see him? saith the Lord. Do not I fill heaven and earth? saith the Lord.
The Lord knoweth the thoughts of man, that they are vanity.
1st Corinthians 3:20
And again, The Lord knoweth the thoughts of the wise, that they are vain.
20. If we have forgotten the name of our God, or stretched out our hands to a strange god;
21. Shall not God search this out? for he knoweth the secrets of the heart.
God doesn't like it when we don't draw a line between the holy and the secular:
Her priests have violated my law, and have profaned mine holy things: they have put no difference between the holy and profane, neither have they shewed difference between the unclean and the clean, and have hid their eyes from my sabbaths, and I am profaned among them.
Woe unto them that call evil good, and good evil; that put darkness for light, and light for darkness; that put bitter for sweet, and sweet for bitter!
God wants you to study and gain knowledge:
The heart of the righteous studies how to answer, but the mouth of the wicked pours forth evil.
He that disdains instruction despises his own soul, but he that heeds rebuke gets understanding.
2nd Timothy 2:15
Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of the truth.
1st Peter 3:15-16
15. But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts, and always be ready to give a defense to everyone who asks you a reason for the hope that is within you, with meekness and fear;
16. having good conscience, that when they defame you as evildoers, those who revile your good conduct in Christ may be ashamed.
My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge: because thou hast rejected knowledge, I will also reject thee, that thou shalt be no priest to me: seeing thou hast forgotten the law of thy God, I will also forget thy children.
Therefore my people are gone into captivity, because they have no knowledge: and their honourable men are famished, and their multitude dried up with thirst.
Everyone is right in their own eyes, and God can't stand that:
Every way of a man is right in his own eyes: but the Lord pondereth the hearts.
The way of a fool is right in his own eyes: but he that hearkeneth unto counsel is wise.
Woe unto them that are wise in their own eyes, and prudent in their own sight!
God does not desire the destruction of the wicked:
Ezekiel 18: 23, 25, 32
23. Have I any pleasure at all that the wicked should die? saith the Lord God: and not that he should return from his ways, and live?
25. Yet ye say, The way of the Lord is not equal, Hear now, O house of Israel; Is not my way equal? Are not your ways unequal?
32. For I have no pleasure in the death of him that dieth, saith the Lord God: wherefore turn yourselves, and live ye.
Nor does God hate anyone, not even when he's teaching them a hard lesson and it seems like he does:
Behold, God is mighty, and despiseth not any: he is mighty in strength and wisdom.
For the Lord heareth the poor, and despiseth not his prisoners.
But if you insist on remaining wicked and refusing redemption, God will definitely mock you:
24. Because I have called, and ye refused; I have stretched out my hand, and no man regarded;
25. But ye have set at nought all my counsel, and would none of my reproof:
26. I also will laugh at your calamity; I will mock when your fear cometh;
27. When your fear cometh as desolation, and your destruction cometh as a whirlwind; when distress and anguish cometh upon you.
28. Then shall they call upon me, but I will not answer; they shall seek me early, but they shall not find me:
29. For that they hated knowledge, and did not choose the fear of the Lord:
And the way God will mock you is by simply letting you reap the consequences of your own sin:
Even as I have seen, they that plow iniquity, and sow wickedness, reap the same.
Be not deceived; God is not mocked: For whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he also reap.
29. For that they hated knowledge, and did not choose the fear of the Lord:
30. They would none of my counsel: they despised all my reproof.
31. Therefore shall they eat of the fruit of their OWN way, and be filled with their own devices.
I also will choose their delusions, and will bring their fears upon them; because when I called, none did answer; when I spake, they did not hear: but they did evil before mine eyes, and chose that in which I delighted not.
God will deliver you from enemies that are too strong for you:
17. He delivered me from my strong enemy, and from them which hated me: for they were too strong for me.
18. They prevented me in the day of my calamity: but the Lord was my stay.
Old men aren't always wise:
7. I said, Days should speak, and multitude of years should teach wisdom.
8. But there is a spirit in man: and the inspiration of the Almighty giveth them understanding.
9. Great men are not always wise: neither do the aged understand judgment.
False Prophets and false apostles will abound in the last days, as will their deceived followers, looking for anyone who will tell them what they want to hear and not what they NEED to hear:
1st Timothy 4:1
Now the Spirit speaketh expressly, that in the latter times some shall depart from the faith, giving heed to seducing spirits, and doctrines of devils;
2nd Timothy 3:13
But evil men and seducers shall wax worse and worse, deceiving, and being deceived.
2nd Peter 2:1-3
1. But there were false prophets also among the people, even as there shall be false teachers among you, who privily shall bring in damnable heresies, even denying the Lord that bought them, and bring upon themselves swift destruction.
2. And many shall follow their pernicious ways; by reason of whom the way of truth shall be evil spoken of.
3. And through covetousness shall they with feigned words make merchandise of you: whose judgment now of a long time lingereth not, and their damnation slumbereth not.
2nd Corinthians 11:13-15
13. For such are false apostles, deceitful workers, transforming themselves into the apostles of Christ.
14. And no marvel; for Satan himself is transformed into an angel of light.
15. Therefore it is no great thing if his ministers also be transformed as the ministers of righteousness; whose end shall be according to their works.
1st John 4
Beloved, believe not every spirit, but try the spirits whether they are of God: because many false prophets are gone out into the world.
And because of this departure from God, people will become wicked in the last days:
2nd Timothy 3:1-8
1. This know also, that in the last days perilous times shall come.
2. For men shall be lovers of their own selves, covetous, boasters, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy,
3. Without natural affection, truce-breakers, false accusers, incontinent, fierce, despisers of those that are good,
4. Traitors, heady, highminded, lovers of pleasures more than lovers of God;
5. Having a FORM of godliness, but denying the power thereof: from such turn away.
6. For of this sort are they which creep into houses, and lead captive silly women laden with sins, led away with diverse lusts,
7. Ever learning, and never able to come to the knowledge of the truth.
8. Now as Jannes and Jambres withstood Moses, so do these also resist the truth: men of corrupt minds, reprobate concerning the faith.
28. And even as they did not like to retain God in their knowledge, God gave them over to a reprobate mind, to do those things which are not convenient;
29. Being filled with all unrighteousness, fornication, wickedness, covetousness, maliciousness; full of envy, murder, debate, deceit, malignity; whisperers,
30. Backbiters, haters of God, despiteful, proud, boasters, inventors of evil things, disobedient to parents,
31. Without understanding, covenantbreakers, without natural affection, implacable, unmerciful:
32. Who knowing the judgment of God, that they which commit such things are worthy of death, not only do the same, but have pleasure in them that do them.
Be very careful of making vows to God. God will hold you to it. Even Jesus said not to swear by anything. God does not take vows lightly:
21. When thou shalt vow a vow unto the Lord they God, thou shalt not slack to pay it; for the Lord thy God will surely require it of thee, and it would be sin in thee.
22. But if you abstain from vowing, it shall not be sin to you.
23. That which has gone from your lips you shall keep and perform, for you voluntarily vowed to the Lord your God what you have promised with your mouth.
Matthew 5:33-37 (Jesus speaking)
33. Again, ye have heard that it hath been said by them of old time, Thou shalt not forswear thyself, but shalt perform unto the Lord thine oaths:
34. But I say unto you, Swear not at all; neither by heaven; for it is God's throne:
35. Nor by the earth; for it is his footstool: neither by Jerusalem; for it is the city of the great King.
36. Neither shalt thou swear by thy head, because thou canst not make one hair white or black.
37. But let your communication be, Yea, yea; Nay, nay: for whatsoever is more than these cometh of evil.
But above all things, my brethren, swear not, neither by heaven, neither by the earth, neither by any other oath: but let your yea be yea; and your nay, nay; lest ye fall into condemnation.
Be not rash with thy mouth, and let not thine heart be hasty to utter any thing before God: for God is in heaven, and thou upon earth: therefore let thy words be few.
Just look what happend to a man named Jephthah, who made a foolish and unnecessary vow to God:
Judges 11:30-31 and 34-35
30. And Jephthah vowed a vow unto the Lord, and said, If thou shalt without fail deliver the children of Ammon into mine hands,
31. Then it shall be, that whatsoever cometh forth of the doors of my house to meet me, when I return in peace from the children of Ammon, shall surely be the Lord's, and I will offer it up for a burnt offering.
34. And Jephthah came to Mizpeh unto his house, and, behold, his daughter came out to meet him with timbrels and with dances: and she was his only child; beside her he had neither son nor daughter.
35. And it came to pass, when he saw her, that he rent his clothes, and said, Alas, my daughter! thou hast brought me very low, and thou art one of them that trouble me: for I have opened my mouth unto the Lord, and I cannot go back.
Several verses and passages about God's word (Very important!)
**All scripture and Biblical prophecy was inspired by God:
2nd Timothy 3:16
All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:
2nd Peter 1:20-21
20. Knowing this first, that no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation.
21. For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost.
**The power of his word holds everything together:
Who being the brightness of his glory, and the express image of his person, and upholding all things by the word of his power, when he had by himself purged our sins, sat down on the right hand of the Majesty on high:
**We should NEVER alter, add to or take from God's word:
5. Every word of God is pure: he is a shield unto them that put their trust in him.
6. Add thou not unto his words, lest he reprove thee, and thou be found a liar.
Ye shall not add unto the word which I command you, neither shall ye diminish ought from it, that ye may keep the commandments of the Lord your God which I command you.
What thing soever I command you, observe to do it: thou shalt not add thereto, nor diminish from it.
18. For I testify unto every man that heareth the words of the prophecy of this book, If any man shall add unto these things, God shall add unto him the plagues that are written in this book:
19. And if any man shall take away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part out of the book of life, and out of the holy city, and from the things which are written in this book.
**God's word is the only thing he holds in higher regard than his name:
I will worship toward thy holy temple, and praise thy name for thy lovingkindness and for thy truth: for thou hast magnified thy word above all thy name.
**His word is forever settled in heaven:
For ever, O Lord, thy word is settled in heaven.
**Even the form of the words were inspired:
2nd Timothy 1:13
Hold fast the form of sound words, which thou hast heard of me, in faith and love which is in Christ Jesus.
**His words are like refined silver and he is able to PRESERVE them forever:
6. The words of the Lord are pure words: as silver tried in a furnace of earth, purified seven times.
7. Thos shalt keep them, O Lord, thou shalt preseve them from this generation forever.
Sometimes God keeps things secret for a while:
The secret things belong unto the Lord our God: but those things which are revealed belong unto us and to our children for ever, that we may do all the words of this law.
It is the glory of God to conceal a thing: but the honour of kings is to search out a matter.
That it might be fulfilled which was spoken by the prophet, saying, I will open my mouth in parables; I will utter things which have been kept secret from the foundation of the world.
Now to him that is of power to stablish you according to my gospel, and the preaching of Jesus Christ, according to the revelation of the mystery, which was kept secret since the world began,
Even the mystery which hath been hid from ages and from generations, but now is made manifest to his saints:
3. How that by revelation he made known unto me the mystery; (as I wrote afore in few words,
4. Whereby, when ye read, ye may understand my knowledge in the mystery of Christ)
5. Which in other ages was not made known unto the sons of men, as it is now revealed unto his holy apostles and prophets by the Spirit;
6. That the Gentiles should be fellowheirs, and of the same body, and partakers of his promise in Christ by the gospel:
And to make all men see what is the fellowship of the mystery, which from the beginning of the world hath been hid in God, who created all things by Jesus Christ:
Jesus is going to return all thefts many times over (Sorry, world leaders, you aren't going to get to rob people forever)...
If a man shall steal an ox, or a sheep, and kill it, or sell it; he shall restore five oxen for an ox, and four sheep for a sheep.
And Zacchaeus stood, and said unto the Lord: Behold, Lord, the half of my goods I give to the poor; and if I have taken any thing from any man by false accusation, I restore him fourfold.
2nd Samuel 12:6
And he shall restore the lamb fourfold, because he did this thing, and because he had no pity.
Then they shall confess their sin which they have done: and he shall recompense his trespass with the principal thereof, and add unto it the fifth part thereof, and give it unto him against whom he hath trespassed.
The Golden Rule: (Do unto others as you would HAVE them do unto you, not as they do unto you)...
Matthew 7: 12
Therefore all things whatsoever ye would that men should do to you, do ye even so to them: for this is the law and the prophets.
The seven petitions made by Jesus when he prayed to the Father just before his crucifixion:
1. That he may be glorified as the Son who has glorified the Father.
2. For restoration to the eternal glory.
3. For the safety of believers from the world and the evil one.
4. For the sanctification of the believers.
5. For the spiritual unity of believers.
6. That the world may believe.
7. That believers may be with him in heaven to behold and share his glory.
1. Innocence (Genesis 1:28)
2. Conscience (Genesis 3:23)
3. Human Government (Genesis 8:20)
4. Promise (Genesis 12:1)
5. Law (Genesis 19:8)
6. Grace (John 1:17)
7. Kingdom (Ephesians 1:10)
The Ten Commandments
2. I am the Lord your God, who brought you out of the hand of Egypt, out of the house of bondage,
3. (1) You shall have no other Gods before me.
4. (2) You shall not make for yourself a carved image - any likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth;
5. you shall not bow down to them nor serve them. For I, the Lord your God, am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children to the third and fourth generations of those who hate me,
6. but showing mercy to thousands, to those who love me and keep my commandments.
7. (3) You shall not take the name of the Lord your God in vain, for the Lord will not hold him guiltless who takes his name in vain.
8. (4) Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy.
9. Six days you shall labor and do all your work,
10. but the seventh day is the Sabbath of the Lord your God. In it you shall do no work; you, nor your son, nor your daughter, nor your male servant, nor you female servant, nor your cattle, nor your stranger who is within your gates.
11. For in six days the Lord made the heavens and the earth, the sea, and all that is in them, and rested the seventh day. Therefore the Lord blessed the Sabbath and hallowed it.
12. (5) Honor your father and your mother, that your days may be long upon the land which the Lord your God is giving you.
13. (6) You shall not murder.
14. (7) You shall not commit adultery.
15. (8) You shall not steal.
16. (9) You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor.
17. (10) You shall not covet your neighbor's house; you shall not covet your neighbor's wife, nor his male servant, nor his female servant, nor his ox, nor his donkey, nor anything that is your neighbor's.
Verses against drinking and drunkeness:
Woe unto them that rise up early in the morning, that they may follow strong drink; that continue until night, till wine inflame them!
Woe unto them that are mighty to drink wine, and men of strength to mingle strong drink:
Wine is a mocker, strong drink is raging: and whosoever is deceived thereby is not wise.
29. Who hath woe? who hath sorrow? who hath contentions? who hath babbling? who hath wounds without cause? who hath redness of eyes?
30. They that tarry long at the wine; they that go to seek mixed wine.
Look not upon the wine when it is red, when it giveth his colour in the cup, when it moveth itself aright (ferments and becomes alcoholic).
Woe unto him that giveth his neighbour drink, that puttest thy bottle to him, and makest him drunken also, that thou mayest look on their nakedness!
And be not drunk with wine, wherein is excess; but be filled with the Spirit;
Anyone claiming to be a Christian apologist in any capacity shouldn't be wallowing in wine:
1st Timothy 3:8
Likewise must the deacons be grave, not doubletongued, not given to much wine, not greedy of filthy lucre;
And that applies to women too:
The aged women likewise, that they be in behaviour as becometh holiness, not false accusers, not given to much wine, teachers of good things;
There were only a few cases in which wine was suggested, such as when one was sick:
1st Timothy 5:23
Drink no longer water, but use a little wine for thy stomach's sake and thine often infirmities.
Verses that say to stay away from profanity and vulgar language:
People can tell A LOT about you by the way you talk. The angry mob that wanted to kill Jesus knew that Peter was one of Jesus' followers because of the decent way he talked. When they told him that, he started cursing and swearing to convince them that he didn't follow Jesus, and that's when the crowd left him alone, and that's when rooster crowed, just as Jesus had said it would. What message is your speech giving people?
73. And after a while came unto him they that stood by, and said to Peter, Surely thou also art one of them; for thy SPEECH bewrayeth thee.
74. Then began he to CURSE and to SWEAR, saying, I know not the man. And immediately the cock crew.
75. And Peter remembered the word of Jesus, which said unto him, Before the cock crow, thou shalt deny me thrice. And he went out, and wept bitterly.
Let no corrupt communication proceed out of your mouth, but that which is good to the use for edifying, that it may minister grace unto the bearers.
Let all bitterness, and wrath, and anger, and clamour, and evil speaking, be put away from you, with all malice.
13. Their throat is an open sepulchre; with their tongues they have used deceit; the poison of asps is under their lips:
14. Whose mouth is full of cursing and bitterness:
1st Corinthians 15:33
Be not deceived: evil communications corrupt good manners.
If any man among you seem to be religious, and bridleth not his tongue, but deceiveth his own heart, this man's religion is vain.
9. Therewith bless we God, even the Father; and therewith curse we men, which are made after the similitude of God.
10. Out of the same mouth proceedeth blessing and cursing. My brethren, these things ought not so to be.
Don't gossip, slander or flatter, either:
A lying tongue hateth those that are afflicted by it; and a flattering mouth worketh ruin.
He that rebuketh a man afterwards shall find more favour than he that flattereth with the tongue.
A fool uttereth all his mind: but a wise man keepeth in till afterwards.
The kind of music God approves of:
Speaking to yourselves in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody in your heart to the Lord;
Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom; teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord.
The kind of music God does NOT approve of:
It is better to hear the rebuke of the wise, than for a man to hear the song of FOOLS.
Truth is the new hate speech:
Am I therefore become your enemy, because I tell you the truth?
Grace is not a license to sin all we want:
Do we then make void the law through faith? God forbid: yea, we establish the law.
14. For sin shall not have dominion over you: for ye are not under the law, but under grace.
15. What then? Shall we sin, because we are not under the law, but under grace? God forbid.
16. Know ye not, that to whom ye yield yourselves to obey, his servants ye are to whom ye obey; whether of sin unto death, or of obedience unto righteousness?
Notice that Romans 6:16 mentions the 'sin unto death.' When you sin, the Holy Spirit is grieved and convicts you to get out of that sin (Ephesians 4:30). If you stay in that sin, you're going to be chastised (Hebrews 12:6). And if you STILL stay in that sin after that, you're going to eventually commit the sin unto death and be taken home early:
1st John 5:16
If any man see his brother sin a sin which is not unto death, he shall ask, and he shall give him life for them that sin not unto death. There is a sin unto death: I do not say that he shall pray for it.
God's law existed before Moses and Mt. Sinai:
Because that Abraham obeyed my voice, and kept my charge, my commandments, my statutes, and my laws.
In fact, God's law is written into the hearts of all men, which is where our morality comes from:
14. For when the Gentiles, which have not the law, do by nature the things contained in the law, these, having not the law, are a law unto themselves:
15. Which shew the work of the law written in their hearts, their conscience also bearing witness, and their thoughts the mean while accusing or else excusing one another;
Our bodies are the tabernacles that our spirits dwell in:
2nd Corinthians 5:1-4
1. For we know that if our earthly house of this tabernacle were dissolved, we have a building of God, an house not made with hands, eternal in the heavens.
2. For in this we groan, earnestly desiring to be clothed upon with our house which is from heaven:
3. If so be that being clothed we shall not be found naked.
4. For we that are in this tabernacle do groan, being burdened: not for that we would be unclothed, but clothed upon, that mortality might be swallowed up of life.
God knew the end from the very beginning:
9. Remember the former things of old: for I am God, and there is none else; I am God, and there is none like me,
10. Declaring the end from the beginning, and from ancient times the things that are not yet done, saying, My counsel shall stand, and I will do all my pleasure:
Known unto God are all his works from the beginning of the world.
And that includes the creation of each of us:
15. My substance was not hid from thee, when I was made in secret, and curiously wrought in the lowest parts of the earth.
16. Thine eyes did see my substance, yet being unperfect; and in thy book all my members were written, which in continuance were fashioned, when as yet there was none of them.
A Christian's work isn't over until he dies or Jesus comes back:
Being confident of this very thing, that he which hath begun a good work in you will perform it until the day of Jesus Christ.
The work we do is for God, not ourselves (contrary to what Joel Osteen's wife may think)
23 And whatsoever ye do, do it heartily, as to the Lord, and not unto men;
24 Knowing that of the Lord ye shall receive the reward of the inheritance: for ye serve the Lord Christ.
25 But he that doeth wrong shall receive for the wrong which he hath done: and there is no respect of persons.
He must increase, but I must decrease.
God is not a respecter of persons:
Then Peter opened his mouth, and said, Of a truth I perceive that God is no respecter of persons:
But he that doeth wrong shall receive for the wrong which he hath done: and there is no respect of persons.
shall do no unrighteousness in judgment: thou shalt not respect the
person of the poor, nor honor the person of the mighty: but in
righteousness shalt thou judge thy neighbour.
shall not respect persons in judgment; but ye shall hear the small as
well as the great; ye shall not be afraid of the face of man; for the
judgment is God's: and the cause that is too hard for you, bring it unto
me, and I will hear it.
2nd Samuel 14:14
we must needs die, and are as water spilt on the ground, which cannot
be gathered up again; neither doth God respect any person: yet doth he
devise means, that his banished be not expelled from him.
2nd Chronicles 19:7
now let the fear of the Lord be upon you; take heed and do it: for
there is no iniquity with the Lord our God, nor respect of persons, nor
taking of gifts.
For there is no respect of persons with God.
ye masters, do the same things unto them, forbearing threatening:
knowing that your Master also is in heaven; neither is there respect of
persons with him.
My brethren, have not the faith of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Lord of glory, with respect of persons.
1st Peter 1:17
if ye call on the Father, who without respect of persons judgeth
according to every man's work, pass the time of your sojourning here in
God is here, there and everywhere. He is omnipresent:
23. Am I a God at hand, saith the Lord, and not a God afar off?
24. Can any hide himself in secret places that I shall not see him? saith the Lord. Do not I fill heaven and earth? saith the Lord.